Thursday, March 25, 2010

Last Living Grandparent

Holy Cow Batman!!


I have BREAKING NEWS: A few months ago, my only grandmother left alive (step-grandmother actually) died. Therefor, my last living grandparent left is my grandfather on my dad's side, Duane.


He lives in Detroit and I haven't seen him in person since I was 3 years old. When I was 3, he flew to Pensacola with my grandmother and my parents showed them around the city. We went everywhere!! And they had a blast!!


...and this would be where I would put in some pictures from that visit, but Hurricane Ivan washed them all away...


...and then they went home. And they stayed home. In Detroit. For 20 years.


Nevertheless, I always knew that on Christmas or my birthday, I would always receive a heart-felt card with a good amount of cash inside. He was faithful and persistent, and because of those cards every year, he never left my mind.


So when it came time for me to move to Charleston, I sent him a 3 page letter telling him what's been going on in my life and the journey that I was about to embark. He quickly called my father and I got the "official Grandfather Seal of Approval" for being a grown-up and moving away on my own.


He calls my dad on most major holidays, his birthday, and anytime Pensacola is pending a hurricane. He's constantly stayed in touch with my dad, and usually asks about me when he calls. "How's my favorite granddaughter doing?" he would say... and it just blows my mind that he is still asking about me 20 years later. On top of all that, my brother is the middle child of 6 brothers and sisters, so I'm sure there's lots of other grandchildren to go around. Why he loved me the most is still a mystery to me.


Well... he's getting old. He's in his late 70's or early 80's I believe, and I knew that if I didn't make an attempt to go to Detroit within the next few years, I probably wouldn't get to see him again. This is actually one of the items on my life's "to do" list.


...and then!!!!


I got a text message from my mom that said:


"Your grandpa is going to be here next weekend can you believe it!?!"


...honestly, no mom. I don't believe you. Quit messing with me.


But it was true. He called my mom because he has spent the past several weeks traveling the country, by himself, seeing our family scattered throughout the states. He was just calling my mom to let her know that he would be there this weekend.


...again, HOLY COW BATMAN!!


And after visiting my parents, he was going to head home. I was almost in tears when I heard the news. He asked about me and if it would be possible for me to make it down to Pensacola for the weekend.


...ok... quick Florida trip with less than 2 days notice. I'm frantic: I need to pack, get gas, handle the dogs... oh God what about my office?!?! 


But after talking to my mom, I convinced her to tell him that he could easily take I10 to I95, make a quick detour down I26, and arrive at my door. Plus, I have family in SUMMERVILLE that I didn't even know about, so he totally had an excuse to head this way.


So it's official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I will speak on the phone with my grandfather this weekend for the first time in at least 4 years. On top of being overly excited about that, I'm going to have to control myself enough to get him up to Charleston. Seeing him is just what I need in my life right now.


...aww man. I see a Woodlands lunch date with my family in my future!! :) How perfect.


So next week, I'll get to hang out with my grandfather for the first time in over 20 years. Wow, he's in for quite the surprise now isn't he?! 





0 comments:


Blogspot Templates by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Modern Home Designs